Name Change

This process is used when an individual or a family wants to ask the court to change their name. If a name change is to be done because of a dissolution of marriage or an adoption, the name change can be done as part of that case if a final judgment has not been entered. If one parent asks for a name change of a minor child(ren), the process MUST be served on the other parent and proof of service on the other parent must be filed with the court. See Florida Statute 68.07 for legal authority for Name Change.

All name change petitions, except where a former name is being restored, must include a copy of the petitioner's electronic fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency or FDLE approved private vendor.

Requirements for Filing:

  • Petition/Request for Name Change
  • NameChangeAffidavitCompliance
  • Name Change Affidavit in Compliance with Section 68.07(3)(i)
  • Filing Fee (Circuit Court)
  • Private Process Server's Fee - (for service) for Pinellas or obtain out-of-county service contact information
  • Electronic Fingerprints
  • Other forms may be required depending on type of name change
      Petitioners and/or their attorneys need to complete the following applicable form(s) and bring them to the final hearing or attach to the Final Judgment when filed with the Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court.
    • FORM DH427 Report of Legal Change of Name with "Help" file.
      (only required if party born in the State of Florida.)
    • FDLE - Name Change Report of Final Judgment with "Help" file.
      (required for all name changes)

    The following agencies (vendors) provide finger-printing service:
    The vendor should be contacted by phone to determine if they are participating in the Name Change electronic fingerprinting process, what fees are required, office hours, location, etc.

    Pinellas Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) must be provided to fingerprinting vendor when fingerprints are sent electronically. If not provided, FDLE will not return Criminal History Records Check to the Pinellas Clerk of the Court.

    Pinellas ORI - FL924030Z

    Pro Se Forms:
    Family Law Form 12.982 can be used to request the court change a name. The form(s) must be completed and filed at the Clerk's Office, in the county where the person requesting the change lives. There are several versions of this form depending on whether the individual is an adult or minor child, or whether the change is for minor children or a family.

    Form packets can be purchased from the Clerk's office at the following locations:

    The Self Help Centers located in Clearwater and St. Petersburg:

      Clearwater Law Library, Old Clearwater Courthouse
      324 S. Ft. Harrison Ave.
      Clearwater, FL 33756
      Phone: (727) 464-5150 / Fax: (727) 453-3423

      North County Branch Self Help Center
      29582 U.S. 19 North
      Clearwater, FL 33761
      Phone: (727) 464-5150 / Fax: (727) 453-3423
      Open Tuesdays only

      St. Petersburg Judicial Building
      545 First Avenue North, 5th Floor
      St Petersburg, FL 33701
      Phone: (727) 582-7941 / Fax: (727) 582-7945

    Pinellas County Clerk of Court Offices:

    Persons with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodations to use the services provided should call (727) 464-4062 (TDD or Voice). Call 24 hours prior to coming to the courthouse.

    To amend the birth certificate with Department of Health/Vital Statistics, a fee payable to Vital Statistics is required and an amendment form must be forwarded to the Department of Health after the out-of-state order is domesticated. See Instructions for Amending a Birth Certificate and Application for Amendment to Florida Birth Record.

  • Ken Burke, Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller
    Email | Disclaimer | Webmaster